Thursday 20 July 2017

Travelling to the Land of Flowers

So I begin this year's holiday blog, with our plans all set to visit the place which the Spanish first called Pascua Florida in 1513. I'm not sure how many flowers remain in the State of Florida more than 500 years later, but I know there should be plenty of sunshine during our visit to the Sunshine State.


The State of Florida

This is the seventh time I have blogged about my holidays. I always find it is helpful to explain to readers (however many or few of you there are) that I often use the blog more for my own memory of these trips than for the audience, but it is nice to have any readers along on the journey. I look forward to your company and I hope you will enjoy the trip.


Where we are going


So what brings us to Florida. You may not know that Drew and I have travelled to Florida twice before. In 2002 on a journey through the Southern States of the USA we travelled through the Florida Panhandle visiting Pensacola and went into Alabama and along the Gulf Shore. In 2004 my Dad treated us, along with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew and niece to DisneyWorld in Orlando, but more of that later.

So why Florida I hear you ask? Well this year is Drew's fortieth (40th) birthday (yes, he is getting old!!). And when asked where in the world you would like to go for your 40th he replied: "Mickey's House" - which in translation means a visit to Disney World for the start of our holiday. We were able to manage the visit to coincide with his birthday.

But having gone all the way to Florida it seemed mean not to see more of the state than we had previously. So our whole trip looks like this:



Of course this journey will be taking place across three weeks, not 15 hours in one day as Google Maps might imply!

Details of the route, the way the planning for the holiday progressed and how long we will spend in each place will emerge as the blog progresses.

If in the meantime you are welcome to look back at our previous trips - South East Asia in 2006;Southern Europe in 2012; North American touring holidays in 20112013 and 2015 and Scotland last year.

11 comments:

  1. Please stop and take a photo of Drew's face on the bridges to the islands. Maybe now he is going to be all mature at 40, he'll find them easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there are any pulling over places I will certainly take that photo. Maybe he can use my phone and take a selfie?? We shall wait and see :-)

      Delete
  2. how exciting, it sounds wonderful and I look forward to reading all about your adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather,

      Will be nice to have you with us on the trip.

      Delete
  3. Sounds fab Haydn, just one qunction. Have you in your planning books all you accomodation for the whole holiday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath,

      Yes on this occassion. Becuase we are spending a week at Disney and a Week on one of the Gulf Islands we needed to book that up well in advance.

      The last week is three nights each in two places, so I booked that to. When I am on a driving holiday I'm less worried about it as you will always find something, but with specific destinations in mind I wanted to book.

      Delete
  4. 40 years old sounds young to me. Looking forward to the blog again. Don't forget the pictures on Flickr - there have been some real classics over the years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, but it is fun to make a point of it.

      My 40th birthday was my first day at the University of Glamorgan!

      Delete
    2. And yes, Flickr will be used as much as possible 😀

      Delete
  5. My 40th birthday involved invigilating a 3 hour exam in the morning, and a 3 hour exam in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how to live it up Robin 😂

      Delete